Wednesday 15 June 2011

Fedora 15/Gnome 3 First Analysis

So here's my first report about Gnome 3 and Fedora 15.


Pro's



  • Loving Gnome 3 and the way it works
  • Love the 'Activities' where the windows drop back to the desktop
  • Loving when you just move your mouse to the top left corner, it saves you clicking activities
  • Loving the hidden task list bottom left.
  • Love the fact I can use my Windows Key (Am I allowed to call it that?) to bring up the menu.
  • Its also very quick to use.



Con's



  • Task Manager - I like some sort of clickable task list so I can quickly switch apps, like a taskbar or something similar?
  • Workspace switcher. I currently work with the four panes in Gnome 2 and I like being able to quickly jump between workspaces. Its not as easy in Gnome 3 to do it.
  • I can crash my Empathy chat window quite easily. When you type words they get highlighted as if they are spelt incorrectly. When you right click the word, the chat window closes and you get prompted to submit a report (which you can't). Why is this happening in stable software?
  • Skype. Why oh why oh why when installing on a 64-bit do you have to do some manual messing and install i386 libraries - SORT IT OUT!!!
  • Adding software is nowhere near as good as Ubuntu. Its complicated and not easy to find what you want. I am not saying it can't be done, just that its not as easy as Ubuntu Software center.
  • Sometimes when doing graphic intensive stuff, the screen just goes completely white and unusable, so you have to reboot and start again. I thought this was my VM (VirtualBox 4.0.8) environment, but after a quick search, may not be the case.

I don't know whether to jump to F15 or wait for Ubuntu 11.10 which should include Gnome 3.

Decisions, decisions.....

No comments: