Sunday 1 May 2011

Ubuntu 11.04 - I've tried it!

Well I upgraded my netbook from Ubuntu 10.10 NE to 11.04 and the upgrade went quite smooth. I chose to the netbook first because it already had Unity installed and so shouldn't be that much different. It went ok, but took quite a long time to do. I expect this was because I did it so near the release date.


All went well and it works fine, so I decided to upgrade my laptop too. I left it upgrading but for some reason, the following morning it had all gone horribly wrong. So i decided to reformat and rebuild the whole laptop to 11.04. This I did and found straight away, the wireless doesn't work on my Dell Inspiron 6400. A quick trawl of the net to find - yes I was right - they don't work!! There was a link to some method of downloading and fudging some other drivers, but that's not why I chose Ubuntu. The reason I love Ubuntu is because it works and you never have to go near a command line to get things working. So to find that it doesn't work was a big disappointment. I then decided to rebuild back to 10.10 and that now works fine, so 10.10 its staying for now.


Also, Unity was getting a little difficult to understand and navigate, so I figured if I was having issues, then the rest of the family could also have these problems too, and I wouldn't be able to figure out the problem.


So, I downloaded VirtualBox for Windows and installed VBox on the main PC, to setup a VM to play with. Installed ok, but when logging in, I got the old style desktop. I then discovered that to get Unity running, you need to enable 3D acceleration before installing. I did this and the VM died. I tried to rebuild but it still wouldn't work. So its not quite working at the moment. I will try again tomorrow.


Watch this space.....

No comments: