Tuesday 8 February 2011

..and i continue

I had another thought today (don't be shocked) to do with my Email client problem. I have my suspicions that the whole email client problem is holding back the deployment of Linux in the business environment.


Think for a while, we have Microsoft Office with 

  • a word processor (Word)
  • a spreadsheet app (Excel)
  • a Database app (Access)
  • a presentation app (Powerpoint)
  • an email app (Outlook)



Now spot the one thats missing in Open/Libre Office? Yup, you guessed it - an email app. So if you wanted to switch to an alternative Office suite you have a problem. From my previous report, there is only one app - Outlook (in my opinion anyway).


So, I wanted to deploy Linux in an office environment what do I need

  • The O/S - Sorted, Windows or Linux
  • The Office Suite - Libre/Open Office (multi-platform) or MS Office (Windows Only)
  • Browser - Firefox or Chrome, both platform independent
  • Authentication method - AD works under both platforms (from my simple experiments)
  • Email App - ah, the free suites don't have one, lets have a look. Hmm we really need Outlook, ok, we need MS Office, ok we need Windows.



And so Linux thereby gets omitted from the equation, because of one application problem. I am not going into the email app debate, as that was on yesterdays post.


My point? Sort the email app out and you might get a look in.

No comments: